When you have already created an online presence, your next move would be to beat your competitors
and climb the ladder. However, the most common problem web owners face is not being aware of how exactly SEO works, which may help you surpass your competitors and rule the market.
Without SEO, you are surely missing out on visitors and thereby missing out on sales too. It would be a huge loss if you can’t capitalize on what SEO can be boosting your online performance.
Reference: case studies on revenue increase of eCommerce businesses
Whether you are starting a new website or enhancing an existing site, here you go! You will learn most of the basics in SEO that will help maximize your organic traffic and roll in the market online.
That being said, standing tall on the first page of Google’s search results is not an easy job. A few years ago, an IoT company, called ‘Optify‘ conducted a research study where they found that “websites ranked in the #1 spot received
an average click-through rate of 36.4 percent: #2 had a CTR of 12.5 percent, and number three had a CTR of 9.5 percent.”
What does this signify? This implies that websites without securing the sweet spot of their rankings are certainly losing the potential opportunity of clicks, sales, and brand visibility. By now, you may want to know how to amp up your site to the first page of Google’s SERPs.
So here you go, we will take it away right now: Basic SEO Guide For Newbies To Increase Traffic Organically In 2021
Basic SEO Guide For SEO Beginners
Research On Yourself and Your Competitors
First things first, carrying out initial research over your website is the first step you have to walk through. During the process, you will probably meet the needs to conduct 2 crucial types of research – keyword research and competitor research.
Why is researching important? It’s because if you target the wasteful keyword, your campaign can be screwed up
as it, most certainly, fails to get the traffic of your desired level.
When you lay hands on optimization, you have to consider the search volume, relevancy, and
keyword difficulty for ranking your keywords. Remember, do not pick keywords that are highly competitive or too
broad. Because without a doubt, they will likely bury your page(s) deep at the bottom of nowhere people find you if your website hasn’t been strongly built in SEO previously.
This is a prominent step to whether or not your SEO campaign is bound to succeed. Thus, make sure you will find the best balance between search volume and keyword difficulty. Furthermore, using long-tail keywords is a smart way for a new website to rank easier than using highly competitive keywords.
P.S. KGR, short for ‘Keyword Golden Ratio’ can be an amazing help as well. As a rule of thumb, it’s believed a way to rank on the first pages of Google without hard efforts on link building.
Addressing The Current SEO Issues
Auditing your website is also an essential process you have to carry out. Folks are using, in general, Google Analytics, Ahrefs, SEMrush, or UberSuggest which are top notch leaders in SEO software.
Probably, you will detect some problems existing — If you use one of those or any sophisticated tool, you will be guided in an easy and actionable way to solve your current SEO problems at any given time of your auditing.
These are the common issues that you might get from your website’s SEO settings:
- 302/401 broken links and 301 redirections.
- On-Page SEO issues: Such as empty or misused metatags, keyword optimization, duplicate content and canonical tags, H1/H2 tags, alt tags or internal linking problems, etc.
- Technical SEO: SSL, Mobile optimization, page speeds, breadcrumbs, XML sitemaps, or robots.txt, etc.
- Quality issues on inbound links (off-page SEO) such as spammy links, link farms, irrelevant links acquisition.
Next time, I will write a more thorough article that dives deeper in sorting out each one of those problems listed above. until then, you may get a lot of help from SEO tools that you may use to troubleshoot the most of SEO problems in a pretty easy way!
On-Page Optimization – Foundation Construction of a Building
Although off-page SEO optimization (such as link building and social signal) plays the greatest role in your SEO game, on-page SEO is one essential part that you can’t do proper SEO without.
On-Page Optimization is referred to as a process of optimization in the page and on-page content-wise. On-Page SEO is important because it’s the foundation construction to build a skyscraper that stands tall and grand. Indeed, the work on your On-Page is the first step in constructing your SEO presence and keyword ranking campaign — the jobs include as follows:
- Content creation as the first step
- Keyword targeting & optimization (Keyword density, LSI, Longtail keywords)
- H1/H2 structuring for topical recognition by search engine crawlers
- Filling meta tags (SEO title and meta description)
- Improving readability of the content for great user experience (which really matters in the highly sophisticated AI-based current Google’s technology)
- Setting alt tags on images for better image rankings
- Internal link building that passes link equity on-site wise.
If you are a WordPress user, you’re totally backed by Yoast SEO or All in One SEO that makes every on-page SEO job easy for you. Don’t be reluctant to install one of them if you don’t have one by chance! 🙂
On-Going Test Over And Over
Your next step should be to test and test and test in order to discover and keep up the best ever working out attributes by testing two variations of webpages, keywords, or as such.
You will find a lot of room for testing and the need of finding out what works better in all the aspects around your website such as keywords comparison, A/B testing on landing pages, Call-To-Action button design/placement for better CRO, A/B testing meta title and description for better CTR, name a few.
While each one has its own purpose to conduct testing, the destination anyhow you would target is to see ‘what’s better in the variables and find out what you have to stick to for your better click through rates, conversions, and more juicy traffic in your organic traffic acquisition.
Link Building Is Still The Top Contribution For SEO in 2021
To make hype, some SEOs talk around that link building has long been dead. However, which isn’t true at all. 🙂
As per many highly trusted SEO experts like Neil Patel or Brian, and credible sources like Moz, or SEMrush, link building is one of the top importance along with web traffic and user experience of a site.
Link building is still one of the fastest high tickets to make your SEO journey smoother and easier because Google still takes into account that backlinks are a major ranking factor since linking to a page can be a great signal to Google that the page is popular among search engine users. It’s considered as a vote for the quality of the page — Simply put, Google’s ultimate destination is to improve their users’ search experience by presenting the top voted pages in their search results.
Nevertheless, and again, link building is what you’re most encouraged to carry out if you want your page somewhere as juicy as to get most of the organic traffic –Here is what you can obtain high quality links as the most common practices.
How to get links:
- Guest Posting: Pitching your well-crafted content to a website that may publish your content on with links given.
- Broken Link Building: Finding broken links replaceable with your made content in the same topic.
- Backlinks Through Infographics: Creating a robust infographic that gives value to people and naturally gets links from them.
- Competitors’ Links History: Spying on where/how your competitors obtain links that you desire and do your outreach as they did.
- Blogger’s Community: Befriending and networking with fellow bloggers to help each other (avoid obvious link exchange though)
- Resources Page: Creating an info hub page that gathered all the useful info in one place that people are naturally tempting to link to.
- Interviewing with Industry Experts: Posting an interview with certified/well known industry experts which works excellent to acquire links from other sites.
- Brand Mention Link Building: Search for mentions and citations including your brand name or website URL and asking for a hyperlink to your website over the text.
Local SEO tips For Brick And Mortar Businesses
If you are a local business owner and would like your business information to get highlighted
in your local search results, you can’t overlook GMB (Google My Business AKA Google Maps Listing) listing and your local keywords optimization.
When it comes to local SEO, it’s safe to think that local NAP is the most important factor that could be a game changer to accumulate your local customers and sales.
What is NAP then?
NAP is short for:
N: Name (Your business name)
A: Address (Your business location)
P: Phone Number (Your business contact number)
It’s also commonly referred to as NAP citation by SEOs, NAP citation is simply a mention about your local business with locally specified information (data) spread around on the internet.
Not to mention, NAP data plays a super duper great role in improving your GMB rankings and page rankings for the local search intent. To optimize local SEO with your NAP data, you will have to build citations mentioning the 3 crucial elements of your business information.
Where to build local citations with NAP
- Local Directories: Creating your profile page including the NAP info (Structured Data)
- Social Media: Business social pages with NAP data placed (Unstructured Data)
- Local Review Sites: Business pages (profile pages) with NAP (Structured Data)
- Blogs and Blog Comments: NAP data included in blog posts or in the comment sections (Unstructured Data)
- Local Magazines or News Sites: News articles that mention your business information essentially, NAP (Unstructured Data)
It isn’t very tricky to do local NAP building, but just about your little bit of consistent effort and hard work to spread the data around. However, just one thing to take note of: The NAP data has to be ‘consistent’, for example, the business name, address, phone number must be the same without even a single letter varied or differentiated. Consistency of the data is the key when doing NAP data building.
Final Words – The Basic SEO Guide For Newbies
Sometimes SEO seems very tricky and contain some learning curves to beginners. To somebody, it can be overwhelming of what was talked about in this article, some of you might be gone over your head.
However, SEO and getting handsome organic traffic can become easiest if you just focus on giving value to your audience and caring enough for your visitors’ experience throughout your website. The most precise key to your web success is anyhow the users happiness during their visit to your website.
On top of the mindset, SEO can add just a little bit of technical attributes on your work, all the things described in this article, well combined can work out for your more sophisticated SEO success. And that’s why business owners and web marketers would want to learn deeper in search engine optimization.
I was trying my best to give you the shortest and briefest SEO guide compact in a couple thousand words — I may have missed on some things to guide; (in the limited time frame) On my next article, I will talk a bit deeper in detail and in a segmented topic.
Thanks for reading this article: Basic SEO Guide For Newbies To Increase Traffic Organically In 2021